March 08, 2011

Blog #3: The Language of Food


As I made my way through Walnut Creek's very own Whole Foods Market, I felt like I was in a bio-dome of fresh produce and food. I could smell the savory sandwiches from the bakery and the freshly cooked chickens for easy pick-up. As I made my way through the produce section, I noticed how contrasted the lighting was, almost as if to highlight their magnificent amount of vegetables and fruits. I looked from left, to right, noticing how the natural color scheme of the interior made an organic statement. It was time to zone in on some of Whole Foods products. From French cheese to pet products, it seemed that almost anything could be classified as organic. They really hone in on the organic message in the produce section. From constant labels and signs reminding you that their product is locally grown “without the use of long-lasting chemical pesticides and fertilizers”(that quote taken from the produce section of their website).
I am a HUGE cheese fan. Walking through their cheese section makes me weak in the knees. They have even provided a clerk to help me pick the perfect cheese for my occasion. I noticed that every cheese had a label would describe their type of cheese, what animal it came from, their country of origin, the firmness of the cheese, some labels even had fun facts included to make you feel a sense of nostalgia as you contemplated whether or not if this cheese is the perfect one for what you want.  They give you this feeling of being in a local market in the European countryside that many American’s aren’t familiar with. We cherish this feeling of knowing exactly where our food comes from – or so we think.
I feel as though Whole Foods should be treated as a specialty food market, not one you would shop at everyday. I think the opportunity they provide for their customers to try such delectable products from all over the world is fantastic, but our every day shopping should be contained to local food markets allowing us to support our local economy. We are merely too engulfed in getting the best of the best product available that we are too selfish to purchase from local farmers or even raise our own produce. We American’s expect to have these opportunities handed to us so we can throw our money around thoughtlessly on things that aren’t always necessary. I’m not going to argue about having the chance to try a rare triple crème brie from France, but treating oneself rarely and enjoying the experience is much different than abusing it on a day to day basis. I wish that we as American's had a bigger opportunity to participate in local famer's markets. I know the one in my city only runs certain days and times of the week, unfortunately times that I am never available to attend. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Elizabeth,

    I really enjoyed reading your response. Everything was descriptive and very well done. I absolutely love walking into a Whole Foods store and smelling the freshly prepared foods in the bakery. Sometimes I feel like I'm in heaven when I visit that store. Its nice to have a variety of fresh produce and foods from around the world there. Definitely not a store that I would continually shop at but I do enjoy buying my fruits there. I can always trust the the majority of it is indeed organic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Jared's comments, and felt that you capture the Whole Foods shopping experience. I thought the way you changed your perspective on Whole Foods, from grocery store to specialty store, helped justify an occasional shopping trip there. I'm curious -- did any sign or information persuade you to buy something (or at least think about buying something) that you normally wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete