May 21, 2011

Blog #7: Research Project

My curiosity of nutrition began at the beginning of the semester when we first started reading Michael Pollans Omnivores Dilemma. I had decided that it would be a good idea to catch up on the latest media to see what the film industry had to say about our eating habits and food culture. From Fast Food Nation to Food Inc., the more I watched the more curious (as well as grossed out) I became. It was the documentary Food Matters that really hit a chord with me. Many of the other films focused on what kind of food culture we are currently submerged in. Food Matters explained exactly how our bodies are reacting to this food culture and the affects that it's having on our lives.

Throughout my research I think the biggest surprises have come from why our bodies have been drained of much of their nutrients. For example, I didn't know that you should never drink liquids 30min before, during, or  30min after meals because it drowns your stomach denying much of the intake of nutrients. I was also surprised to find that the combination of types of foods such as proteins, carbohydrates, salads and fruit have an affect on your nutrient intake. Carbohydrates and proteins should not be eaten together because proteins produce acidic juices and digest slowly while carbohydrates produce alkaline juices and digest much faster. Mixing these two groups cause both acids to neutralize each other making the food not digest properly, creating gas, bloating, malabsorption, and energy drain to say the least. Vegetables aid both proteins and carbohydrates. Fruit should always be eaten on its own and allowed 30 minutes eating time spaced between any other type of food to gain the most from eating it. I had no idea that the way we choose to eat particular foods can have an affect on our bodies in such a dramatic way.

I have purchased a number of books to help with the research of my paper, including some on the nutritional therapy of cancer. After learning about how nutrient deficient our American lives are, I've taken a personal oath to learn more about how to take care of myself and what I can do to pass it on to future generations. I firmly believe that knowledge is power and by continuing my own studies, not only to satisfy my curiosity but to also expand my mind and improve my health for years to come, I will benefit and my family will benefit from the information provided to me. I want to know that what these doctors say about nutrition is true. I want to feel more energized and healthy and if nutrition is the simple and obvious answer than what do I have to lose?

This semester has been quite a fantastic journey of learning for me, especially in this English class. I don't ever remember feeling so challenged and curious at the same time. All of the material provided was a learning experience in itself and allowed for me to explore avenues I may have never crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Now I have my summer homework -- watch Food Matters. I've missed this so far, and soon I'll have the time to actually watch movies again. It sounds as if food intake goes so far beyond what we think, and your blog makes me think about food in a new way. Really no drinking when eating? Not sure if I can give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what your major is but do you feel this class opened a door of interested to do something with your new found motivation to learn all you can about nutrition?

    ReplyDelete